Estimated Tour Pricing Inclusions: Roundtrip transportation, 4 nights’ accommodation, baggage handling, 4 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 3 dinners, private motor coach transportation throughout, admissions, entrance, and guide fees as stated in the itinerary, including taxes, and gratuity (excluding gratuity for guides and driver, unless requested).Highlights:
- Hagley Museum
- Winterthur Museum, Garden, and Library
- Wilmington Riverfront
- Nemours Estate
- Brandywine River Museum of Art
- Longwood Gardens
- Mt. Cuba Center
- Christiana Mall,
- Wine Tasting
- Delaware Art Museum
Sample Itinerary: Day 1 - Wilmington & Buckley's Tavern
- Fly into Philadelphia or arrive in Delaware by motorcoach.
- Check into your hotel in the Wilmington, DE area.
- Start out with a welcome dinner at Buckley’s Tavern in Centreville, Delaware. Built as a private residence in 1817, this building has been the location of a blacksmith shop, a stagecoach stop, and even the site of a tollgate to collect fees from those traveling to and from Wilmington. The building has been a restaurant since 1951, and this evening you will enjoy the elegant comfort food created by Chef Tom Hannum.
- Start your day with an included breakfast at the hotel, before arriving at the Hagley Museum, where the du Pont story begins.
- While at Hagley, enjoy a two-hour guided tour, complete with demonstrations of water-powered machinery in the historic DuPont Company powder yard. Learn about DuPont company founder E.I. du Pont at the site where the company produced gunpowder and where his family made their first home in America. E.I. considered himself a botanist and planted the first du Pont family garden. Today you will see the reproduction of this French-style garden along with the family home. He also instilled the love of gardening in his family, and you will see the results of this as you visit other du Pont family gardens this week.
- The tour will be followed by tax-free shopping in the museum store.
- The next stop on the tour is just a few miles down the road at Winterthur Museum, Garden, and Library. Winterthur was the home of Henry Francis du Pont, great grandson of E. I. du Pont. Upon arrival, enjoy lunch in the Pavilion Café before embarking on a tram ride through the gardens.
- After experiencing the outdoors, you will move inside for a self-guided tour of the mansion of Henry Francis to view one of the richest collections of Americana in the United States. You will see his beautifully designed and decorated spaces where he lived and entertained his guests. Make sure you save time for more tax-free shopping in the beautiful gift shop.
- This evening dinner will be on your own at the Wilmington Riverfront.
- After an included breakfast, visit the Nemours Estate, which is the opulent home of Alfred I. du Pont. Nemours Estate is a masterpiece of Gilded Age design with a 77-room mansion, the largest formal French gardens in North America, and a Chauffeur’s garage housing vintage automobiles. See how Mr. du Pont lived and learn about some of the innovations he used in his home.
- After the tour you will take a short drive over the state line to Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania to visit Brandywine River Museum of Art which features the artwork of American artist Andrew Wyeth, as well as the work of his father N.C. and son, Jamie. Upon arrival, you will have lunch in the Millstone Café before your tour of the museum.
- Next you will travel a few miles down the road to Kennett Square, Pennsylvania to visit Longwood Gardens, the world-renowned gardens of Pierre Samuel du Pont. Enjoy walking through the gardens to see the dazzling displays that elevate horticulture. Eat dinner in The Café and hang out in the beer garden listening to live music, and cap off the evening watching the amazing, choreographed fountain show.
- Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before heading to Mt. Cuba Center, the former home of Lammot du Pont Copeland and Pamela Cunningham Copeland. Former farmlands have been transformed into a lush botanical garden featuring some of the region’s most beautiful native plants. See spectacular displays of native plants in bloom, get design ideas for your own landscape, and learn how Mt. Cuba applies ecological gardening practices to work with nature, not against it.
- This afternoon you are headed to the Christiana Mall to enjoy world class shopping and a vast array of dining options that are all tax-free!
- After all the shopping you will want to wind down and relax with wine tasting at a local winery.
- This evening’s farewell dinner will be at Brandywine Prime in Chadds Ford, PA. This charming, upscale spot is known for traditional American cuisine such as steaks, crab cakes and scallops. You will savor this special meal while reliving the highlights of the trip with your fellow travelers.
- Prior to checking out, enjoy breakfast at your hotel.
- Visit to the Delaware Art Museum in Wilmington. Located on historic Kentmere Parkway in a quiet residential neighborhood, this museum has galleries featuring pre-Raphaelite art, Brandywine school illustrators, and a 9-acre sculpture garden. You can grab a bite to eat in the café or purchase one last souvenir in the museum store before bidding farewell to Delaware.
*Base rate does not include motor coach transportation, airfare, airport transfers, driver gratuity, guide gratuity, (student groups exempt) or any upgrades or add-ons unlisted from itinerary as stated. Pricing may vary based on day of arrival or other conditions. Personalized itineraries with custom pricing and/or additional transportation can be created and added based on client needs and upon client’s request. MARS will customize quotes or personalize itineraries for FREE.
CLICK BELOW FOR A FLYER PDF